The Sound of Music – Auditions
Auditions - Friday 3 December to Monday 6 December
Applications now closed.
(closed 5.00 pm Thursday 2 December)
Presented by Ipswich Civic Centre
Join Ipswich Civic Centre for a season of The Sound of Music in 2022.
Audition applications are now closed
For further information please contact – Timothy Wynn (Director) – [email protected]
- Friday 3 December – 3.00 pm – 9.00 pm – North Ipswich Reserve Corporate Centre (43 The Terrace, North Ipswich)
- Saturday 4 December – 10.00 am – 1.00 pm – North Ipswich Reserve Corporate Centre (43 The Terrace, North Ipswich)
- Saturday 4 December – 2.00 pm – 5.00 pm – North Ipswich Reserve Corporate Centre (43 The Terrace, North Ipswich)
- Sunday 5 December – 10.00 am – 12.30 pm – North Ipswich Reserve Corporate Centre (43 The Terrace, North Ipswich)
- Monday 6 December – 3.00 pm – 9.00 pm (non-singing roles only) – Studio 188 (188 Brisbane Street, Ipswich
Director: Timothy Wynn
Musical Director: Luke Volker
Choreographer & Associate Director: Ellen Tuffley
We are seeking members of the community to join our community ensemble in the following roles:
The Von Trapp Children
- Liesl Von Trapp (Mezzo-Soprano, strong dancer, 16-21) – The oldest child, blossoming into a woman, and smitten by Rolf. She also has a maternal edge and cares deeply for her younger siblings. Initially she thinks herself too old to need a governess; she discovers otherwise.
- Friedrich Von Trapp (tenor, age 14-18) – Proud to be ‘a boy’ in this family of mostly girls, and an often-absent father.
- Louisa Von Trapp (Mezzo-Soprano, age 13-17) – The trickster of the family, full of mischief.
- Kurt Von Trapp (countertenor, age 10-15, some dance) – Gentle and a peacemaker. He dances the Laendler with Maria.
- Brigitta Von Trapp (Mezzo-Soprano, age 9-14) – Smart, reads a lot, always tells the truth, even when it may be inappropriate.
- Marta Von Trapp (Mezzo-Soprano, age 7-14) – Very much the little princess; pink is her favourite colour.
- Gretl Von Trapp (Mezzo-Soprano, age 5-10) – Very cute, just wants to be loved.
Featured Role (Singing)
- Sister Berthe (alto) moves well – Mistress of Novices (20-60) is the more critical, finding all the faults in Maria’s conduct, and may be a little pompous.
- Sister Margaretta (mezzo) moves well – Mistress of Postulants (20-60) has a good sense of humour, and so appreciates what is humorous in Maria’s conduct.
- Sister Sophia (soprano) moves well (20-60) – is more inclined to notice the positive aspects of Maria’s conduct.
- Rolf Gruber (tenor, ideally a strong dancer or very good mover, 16-20) – Rolf is a telegraph delivery boy on bicycle, and later drawn into the Nazi youth movement. He and Liesl have fallen in love, and they look for every opportunity to see one another.
Featured Role (Non-Singing)
- Franz (non-singing, 30+, strong actor) – The Von Trapp butler, formerly the Captain’s orderly on shipboard; formal, but not without spirit; his loyalties move very swiftly to the Fascist cause.
- Frau Schmidt (non-singing, 30+, strong actor) – The housekeeper, rather stoic, but with a guarded sense of humour; she knows how to run the household as the Captain wishes it.
- Herr Zeller (non-singing, 25+, strong actor) – Bureaucratic neighbour who becomes an early Nazi official. He is critical of the Captain’s loyalties to the old Austria and ultimately, as an official of the Third Reich, leads the move to take the Captain into Nazi naval service; hard-nosed, inflexible.
- Admiral Von Schreiber (non-singing, 40+, strong actor) – Admiral of the Navy of the Third Reich, he arrives to escort the Captain to his forced commission. He is more flexible and accommodating than Zeller.
- Ensemble (Singing) Ensemble (16-60+ years) – To play nuns, monks, priests, Nazis novices, postulants, guests at the Captain’s party, Salzburg citizens, and Contestants in the Festival Concert.
Contact Details – Timothy Wynn (Director) – [email protected]
Please Note – All community ensembles roles are unpaid.